When you buy an excursion be sure you get the right information from the seller.
A lot of sellers won’t give you all the information. Here are some examples of what they may forget to tell you:
- extra fees, for example : entrance fees, travel taxes, a meal that is not included, a boat trip fee, etc.
- that the duration of the pick up (before the excursion starts) can take one hour or more.
- that the guide will not speak only your language in the bus, but also 2 or 3 other languages.
- the duration of the excursion. (the giving of a false return time is very common)
- that you can’t pay everywhere with a credit card.
- that cash money will be gathered in the bus by the guide.
- if you will be the first or last ones on the pick up list.
- If your hotel is at the end of the list you may ask if they can arrange 2 seats together. (unless you don’t mind sitting apart during the whole trip.
Here is already some more information about beach excursions on Crete.
Have with you of course your bathing suit (we have only very few nudist beaches and no organised excursion will take you there 😉) and instead of taking a towel (takes a lot of space in your bag and is quit heavy) take a large scarf to lay on, they dry fast and or very light. You will also need a pair of surf shoes because at nearly all the beaches here there are rocks in the water. Most of the beaches have sunbeds and umbrellas, but then if you don’t want to be all the time with a lot of people around you buy yourself an umbrella (they’re not expensive) so you can find yourself a quit spot on the beach. The waters in Crete are very clear so take a diving mask with you!
If you want to go for a walk in the mountains then this is what you will need.
First of all take enough water with you as also some nuts and raisons, these are light to take with you and a perfect energy source. Make sure you wear walking shoes ( no brand new onces please) and use walking sticks if you have (they will help you stepping down from rocks and stones). Protect yourself against the sun (not only your head but your whole body) by covering yourself and you should also protect yourself against the heat, so take a small towel with you that you can make wet from time to time and put it in your neck, not on your head! If you go into the mountains without a guide (something I do not recommend) take a compass with you or download one on your phone and inform some people of the hike you’re going to do.
So before you book an excursion be sure to ask about these points or try to look them up on the internet. This is easy to do for entrance fees and for distances, so you can figure out by yourself the extra money you will need, and the return time of the excursion you want to do.
And the most easy way is to send me an email to email@example.com with your questions about excursions organised in Crete. I will answer you accurate and within a day.
But first of all enjoy your stay in Crete!!!!!!